Google+ Shamil's blog: 7 years!!!!

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

7 years!!!!


Today I complete 7 years of my work life. It looks like a long time. But when I look back it feels just like yesterday when I was searching for a job everywhere on the streets of Chennai. Looking for walkins, going to the browsing center searching for jobs online, looking for referrals etc etc.

It was June 2005 when I completed my Engineering degree. I was so hopeful and excited for a starting a career in a software company which was the dream job of anyone at that time. I had done well in a couple of on-campus interviews but unfortunately didnt go through in the final rounds. So with high hopes and sky high confidence I started my job search. The first walkin attended was that of Verizon which took place in Meenakshi college in Kodambakkam. There are moments in life where you get hit by life's reality. I came to terms with the reality of job search and how hard it will be on that day

The sheer number of people who had come in for that walkin made my head spin faster than the earth. The crowd was massive and we managed to write the test at last in the evening after waiting for more than 6 hours from the morning. No prizes for guessing what happened in that test. I didnt clear!!! Since this was the first walkin and test thought I would do better in the next walkin. Walkin after walkin the same story repeated with some tests cleared failing in interviews and so on. This went on for a while.

That some time had become more than a year. My parents were getting worried that I will not make the cut. The worst part of it is that people who came to my house used to give me advice which wasn't worth a dime. The bright side of it I developed a lot of patience.

Rakesh was one of my friends who was with me doing the job search. He got a job in Ascendas IT tech park. He informed me there was a walkin going on for a company called Visual Graphics. Finally my job search came to end after 15 months. I joined there on October 3, 2006 the same day where one of my other friend Pradeep joined another company ending his job search.

Here I am after 7 years looking back at the path I came. Sometimes the path travelled is more interesting than the destination!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
It's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design.
Wonderful choice of colors!

Here is my website: Lifting Weights Vs Cardio

Unknown said...

Thanks for your feedback!!